Finally, the blackberries are ripe and ready to pick. Unfortunately, there is only ONE place around here when you can pick blackberries, aside from thorny bushes along the sides of some of the hiking trails. The berries can never get big by the paths because people pick them the second they are ripe. Anyway, my mother picked me and my daughters up at 7 am this morning so we could get there nice and early.
I noticed that people seemed to be feeling rather competitive this morning. Although we got there early and started out in the front-ish of the group, many people who came later walked around the group and more toward the front in order to get to the bushes first.
This place only allows people to pick on Saturdays, so it’s a great family outing, but there are a lot of people and only so many berries. The bushes were completely picked out in less than 45 minutes. We ended up with 4 1/2 pounds, which was a far cry from the huge quantities I was hoping to get.
My companions were wanting to push forward a bit so we could get to the bushes sooner, but I just didn’t want to do that. Maybe we would have gotten the bigger berries, but I couldn’t see getting all fashed up about picking blackberries. There will be several other Saturdays to pick, plus there is a place in northern Kentucky, which is quite a bit farther away, but they pick every day. I expect we will end up with enough.
Hoping you get to enjoy some blackberries this summer . . .
1. Type your answer to each of the questions below into Flickr Search.
2. Using only the first page of results, pick one image.
3. Copy and paste each of the URLs for the images into Big Huge Lab’s Mosaic Maker to create a mosaic of the picture answers.
1. What is your first name? Susan
2. What is your favorite food right now? Blackberries
3. What high school did you go to? public school/christian school (the names of my schools did not get any hits)
4. What is your favorite color? Cranberry
5. Who is your celebrity crush? Edward Norton — what can I say
6. What is your favorite drink right now? cold water
7. What is your dream vacation? Queensland, Australia
8. What is your favorite dessert? Tiramisu
9. What do you want to be when you grow up? Childlike
10. What do you love most in life? Being in nature with my family
11. What is one word that describes you? Beautiful
12. What is your flickr name? SunbonnetSioux
I got this idea from Stephanie at No Cleaning Here.
Let me know if you try it. It’s fun to see what shows up with each search word.
1. Lake Susan, 2. Curly, 3. debaters: brains, not money!, 4. Secrets., 5. I LIKE MYSELF!, 6. Passion in the rain…, 7. ….Leave Only Footprints, 8. tiramisu, 9. Chasing the Bubbles, 10. Will do tricks for fish…:O), 11. wham:a different corner, 12. kissed by the sun
I think there is a reason they say youth is wasted on the young.
This summer has been such a wonderful, free time for me. I still have five kids, still have stuff to plan for homeschooling this year, still have the yearbook to finish, still have MY BLOG to write, but this summer has had such lovely times of learning, and relaxing, and loving, and I wish I could inject Val with the excitement I have for all the daily things I love to do.
I suppose it’s just part of being 15. We have four more weeks before school starts again, so I’m enjoying the fact that we still have A THIRD of the summer left. I know she is counting the hours until she can get back into the swing of school. I think when she gets her learner’s permit on Monday, her life will perk up considerably.
Until then, I’m enjoying this day and I hope you are too!